Thursday, December 24, 2009

Conner's First Laser

We began the trip to Charleston, SC at 1 am on Wednesday morning. Dad, Billy, Conner and I bundled up and started on our way. I cannot tell you alot about the trip because I was literally asleep before we left our community. LOL I had a long day on Tuesday. I do remember waking up in a panic around 3:30 needing to feed Conner. I had set my alarm on my phone to wake me up at 2:45 so he could eat and still be in the no food 4 hours prior to surgery time frame. Apparently in my sleepy state I shut off the alarm and calmly went back to sleep; Billy and Dad just thought I was crazy for setting the alarm in the middle of the night, had a good laugh, and went back to their conversation. LOL Anyway once we got to Charleston, we went in the hosptial around 6:30. After a few minutes they took Billy, Conner and I back to a triage room to do his vitals. Dad went to the car to get some rest before the return trip.






The nurse took Conner's blood pressure; it was high 137/118.  She went ahead and took us back to the recovery room where we would be waiting during the treatment and checked it again...140/100.  When the anesthesiologist came in to speak with us, he took one look at our chunky boy and said "Yep, your gonna need a bigger cuff!"  LOL Apparently Conner has outgrown the newborn blood pressure cuff, thankfully it wasn't something serious.  During this time Conner was very unhappy with us.  He is used to eating as soon as he wakes up and did not understand why he was being deprived.  Billy and I did a whole lot of praying, rocking, and singing. 





Nurses, physicians and even the chaplain were in and out of our room. Dr. Hochman came in and told us how long the procedure would last and what to expect when Conner came back.  The nurse came and wheeled out the crib and the anesthesiologist took Conner in his arms and carried him to the OR.  This was probably the hardest part for Billy and I, especially considering it was the unknown.  We didn't know what would happen and could only TRUST the Lord to take care and bring our sweet baby boy back to us.  Within 15 minutes Dr. Hochman came back in our room and told us that Conner was doing wonderful and that the procedure went well.  Not long after that Conner was brought back to us and nursed wonderfully right of the bat.  His face looked sunburnt and there was some purple in the hemangioma.  Personally at that point his face could have been lime green polka dotted and I would have just been grateful to have him safely back in our arms. 






We were able to pull out of the hospital parking lot and head home by 8:30.  Such a short procedure, yet so many risks.  The risk of anesthesia and Conner not waking back up, the risk of eye damage, I could go on but let me just say that blessed be the name God handled all of these risks with no help needed.  No one else can be praised except our Lord for hearing and answering all of the many prayers that have went up in the past week.  Thank you Father for protecting our son!!!! 

Conner will be returing to Charleston in 4 weeks for a second procedure identical to this one.  Please keep our family in your prayers as we journey down this road. 





2 comments:

  1. Glad things went well for you guys. He's a handsome boy. Hope ya'll had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Heather. I am Valerie's friend, Monessa, and just wanted you to know that we are praying for you, Connor and the family during this. Val showed me your blog. What a blessing! Our church family(Val and Zeb's home church in Mississippi)will be praying, also. Take care and may God bless the upcoming procedure in Charleston. He's a beautiful little man!:) God is good!
    In Christ,
    Monessa Perkins

    ReplyDelete